Brachypelma

Brachypelma

Thursday 26 January 2017

Insects, arachnids and other life I have seen in caves

My other passion in life is caving. Because I live in a cold place and most of the caves I go in are also pretty cold, I don't see too much life in caves. But because I live in a cold place and caves generally stay the average temperature for the whole year, they are warmer than outside in the winter, so insects and arachnids sometimes over winter in them, especially Harvestmen (daddy long legs or Opiliones), which incidentally are arachnids, but not spiders and do not possess any venom at all. Anyway, here are some of my favorite shots of life I have encountered on caving expeditions.
Cave cricket, Vancouver Island

Fungus growing on pack rat poo
Moth, cave entrance near Canmore, AB
Fungus growing on some old wood

Harvestmen huddling together for warmth, near Canmore, AB


And the occasional human visitor

No comments:

Post a Comment