Brachypelma

Brachypelma

Friday 20 January 2017

A ridiculously easy spider to keep, and a pleasure - Meet Steve

Steve is a European House Spider, Tegenaria gigantean, the kind that people often find in their sinks or bathtubs.  Contrary to the rumors, these spiders do not crawl up the drain, they fall into the sink or tub while looking for water, and they can't climb back out because they can't climb slippery surfaces.  Steve was almost microscopic in size when I received him.  He came in a pill bottle with no substrate and a lot of webbing. I have kept him with no substrate because I have since seen his brethren in their "natural" setting, usually a shed or a garage, where they live well off the ground in a whole lot of webbing. It's my anniversary with Steve, I got him a year ago and in the time I have had him he has molted 8 times, initially molting every 2 weeks, then slowly down to monthly plus, molting for probably the last time in September, at about 9 months of age.

Steve in all his beauty



Personality-wise, Steve is very scared. If I so much as look in his direction he retreats. Unlike my Carolina Wolf Spider, Hogna carolinensis, who would put up with being stroked by a paint brush for awhile before turning to attack it, Steve retreats if I touch him and has never turned to strike.

He builds vast sheet webs with a funnel escape in one corner.  His webbing is incredibly strong, when I open the container it pulls away with an audible rip. Every day or so I spritz a little water onto his web for him to drink.  I have never seen him actually drink it.

A distant cousin of Steve's, in a slightly more natural setting.


He is a ferocious hunter, though not always immediately. It seems to take him awhile to sense that there is prey in the vicinity.

He is also a prolific pooper! I have moved him numerous times to get him away from his masses of faecal material on the floor of his various homes.

Happy Anniversary Steve!

Steve's bare bones home


No comments:

Post a Comment