Brachypelma

Brachypelma

Thursday 21 July 2016

And then there were three

I started out with about 30 mantids. I sold quite a number of them, lost a few to actual deaths (as opposed to a lot of just playing dead).  The number one killer of mantids seems to be molting accidents.  Molting is the process of shedding the exoskeleton so they can grow. This is a really vulnerable time for them, definitely a time when they could be eaten by predators out in the real world.  In my house I lost a few because I just wasn't paying attention when I picked up their containers to feed them, and disturbing a molting mantis will usually result in it falling. Having hit the ground, it's exoskeleton will harden into a position not conducive to continued existence.  Poor Rambo though, so named because he had already survived a number of difficult mantis-life experiences (including three days wandering my house on his own), simply chose a poor location to molt.  He was too near the ground and so as he shed his skin, hanging upside down as they do, he hit the dirt in the bottom of his container before be managed to completely shed his skin.  This mangled his poor head and body, and I put him in the freezer to end his suffering.

Rest in peace (or pieces?) poor Rambo.  Note the old exoskeleton still clinging to the bottom of his body.
The three that are left, Stripey, CrazyPants and No-Name, are living a charmed existence, and are ridiculously entertaining. These tiny cats love to groom themselves and love to sit on people.  As soon as they see me, I swear, they just want out so they can inhabit my person.  They really are keen on people. You wouldn't think an insect brain would even note the existence of people.  Certainly my tarantulas do not consider me to be of the same universe as they are.  But the mantids clearly enjoy my company - see accompanying images!

"I'm so tired from eating that yummy maggot, mind if I just use your hand as a lawn chair for awhile?  By the way, you should clean your fingernails!"

"While I am here, I may as well clean up the maggot-related toe-jam."

No comments:

Post a Comment